All the hype about the Super Bowl has got me SUPER excited…to make snacks for everyone coming over. I didn’t even know who was playing until about yesterday. To be fair, there are way more commercials for the puppy bowl. But my knowledge of football is neither here nor there. Let’s get down to the good stuff…the FOOD. I have not been to one Super Bowl party that hasn’t had some sort of velvety, cheesy dip. I decided to go for a yummy Three-Cheese Spinach & Artichoke Dip! Plus, there is just something so mouth watering about a salty, cheesy dip and a cold beer.
My favorite part about this Dip is that you can’t go wrong with the cheese. The more cheese, the better! I would say that Parmesan is a staple as it really elevates the dip. It adds a bit of sharpness that lingers on your tongue from its strong umami characteristic. You should choose to add one to two more types of cheese to incorporate extra flavor. For this dip, I went with pre-shredded mozzarella and a block of Gouda that I shredded myself. At first, I was hoping to find a savory Gruyere but my selection was limited, thus I choose else wise.
But no worries, it was all Gouda ;).
Once you have your ingredients collected, you can start tossing them in a mixing bowl. The cream cheese in this Dip should be softened for easier mixing. If you don’t let it soften for a while out of the refrigerator, you will find your self mixing this with your hands to incorporate all ingredients. As for the garlic…MMMMMM. Chopping, mincing, or grating garlic into any dish intensifies the savory flavor. I recommend to grate it instead of mincing it for this dip. I find that grating releases the most, intense flavor out of garlic as well as the best nutritional value.
Now, I’m sure there are some super picky eaters out there. Spinach? Artichoke? This dip is a great opportunity to incorporate and prove how yummy both of these plants are. The taste is incredible when paired together, and any picky eater should try it before judging it! For this recipe, I like to have a consistent texture, but you can choose to go for a chunkier style dip too. If you like it finer, chop up the artichoke hearts into small pieces. For a chunkier texture, you may chop them in halves, or simply buy the halved artichoke hearts.
Here is the fun part….mixing it all together! Make sure you get it all, you don’t want a super big cream cheese chunk and no spinach. Once it’s all mixed up, sprinkle that extra Parmesan cheese on top (or other cheese…if you please).
After you place the finished product into the oven, it’s partyyyy time! Don’t forget you are watching a football game that everyone will be talking about the next day. I bet you’ll be asked “Did you see the game last night?” more times than you prefer. So, if you’re sick of everyone talking about that stupid ref call, talk about that awesome dip you had!
Once the dip is close to being done, turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown the top. Serve in the dish you made it in, or transfer it to a plate with chips or bread. This is a guaranteed touchdown at your party.
Enjoy, and Stay creATEive.
Three-Cheese Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Serves 6-8 people
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 6 oz Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove Garlic, grated
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup Gouda Cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
- 14 oz marinated (canned) artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (To Top)
- Pre-heat oven to 375º.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese, sour cream, pepper, grated garlic clove, and shredded cheeses.
- Line strainer with a few paper towels then strain thawed spinach to squeeze out the excess water. You might have to repeat this step as there is a lot of liquid. Combine strained spinach into mixing bowl.
- Lastly, chop artichokes, squeeze excess liquid with hands, then place into mixing bowl.
- Mix all ingredients until blended well and place in a square pan or casserole dish. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake at 375º F for 25 minutes or until bubbly and brown, Broil for an extra 1-2 minutes to brown top if needed.
- Serve hot with Pita or tortilla chips, or freshly toasted baguette slices.